Thursday, March 5, 2009

Car Accidents and Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Minnesota

In Minnesota, the law requires that all vehicles garaged in the state be covered by minimum amounts of no-fault coverage, liability coverage, uninsured motorist coverage, and underinsured motorist coverage.

Statistics show that about 14% of U.S. drivers, however, do not have insurance. We see people injured by uninsured drivers way too often. If you are injured by an uninsured driver, you probably won’t sue the person who was at fault. This is because it is extremely difficult to actually collect any proceeds from people who have no insurance, even if you win a lawsuit against them.

Instead, you go to your own insurance policy, which provides uninsured motorist coverage in the event that you are injured by an at-fault uninsured motorist. This type of coverage affords most of the same types of benefits available in a civil liability case against the at-fault driver, such as medical expense reimbursement, wage loss reimbursement, compensation for pain and suffering, compensation for permanent injuries or disfigurement, and compensation for loss of future earning capacity.

Uninsured motorist coverage, however, does not cover for personal property losses.
If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, and you don’t have collision coverage, you won’t be able to recover for the damage to your vehicle against your uninsured motorist coverage.

If you were not in your own vehicle at the time of the collision, if you were a pedestrian hit by a car, or if you were on a bicycle, determining which insurance company is responsible for uninsured motorist coverage can become very complicated, very quickly. Additionally, if you were in a vehicle you didn’t own at the time of the car accident, and your losses were greater than the uninsured motorist coverage policy limits on the vehicle you were in, you may potentially have a claim for excess coverage against your own uninsured motorist coverage.

It is important to make sure you are dealing with the correct insurance companies if you’ve sustained injuries as the result of an accident with an uninsured motorist. An experienced personal injury lawyer can figure out which insurance company is responsible, and determine if there is excess coverage available. If you’ve been injured as the result of the negligence of an uninsured driver, contact Meuser & Associates at 877-746-5680 or click here to send us an email to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. We can help you get the compensation you deserve.

Visit our website at!
Related Posts with Thumbnails